Friday 9 November 2007

Reconciliation Day - Australian Day of Repeative Sorries or a Day of Achieving Unity?

I am 38 and a woman, a mother and a volunteer within my community.

I am a believer of God but will never choose any religion.

I believe in the after life and lost souls and even magic.

I believe in helping my neighbour if I am capable of doing so.

I believe in taking pride in what I have achieved and not laying down and dying if I haven't achieved, but taking time out, reassessing my history and getting 'back to it'.

I believe in equality, respect, community and family.

I believe as a woman I'm am capable of doing what's needed and not having to call upon a man for anything other than to assist me, but also knowing, acknowledging and accepting that a man's strength and interests can be of an advantage when my strength or knowledge is not enough.

I'm an Australian, born and breed, and my heritage on one side goes back over a hundred years, while my heritage on another side comes into play in the 60s, but I am white!

I have been taught since high school that I am invader to Australia and I am not a true Australian!

Since high school I have been made to feel like a parasite because I am white.

The generalisation of my white history is still a reflective factor on how differenct races see me because I'm white.

Sorry, to me, is not acceptable without action, yet Australian Reconciliation Day is a day where white people are encouraged to say sorry for the past.

To say sorry every year is depressing to me as it feels that my sorrow for the actions of the past is forgotten quickly and so I need to say it like a broken record in the knowledge that it will never be accepted.

I am not sorry for doing anything racist as being racist will never be supported by me. It is inexcusable to consider or advertise or educate that a person is any less a person than another, for the purpose of demening or for a power-trip.

I believe that Australian Reconciliation Day should be a world-wide event, but the purpose of it is not so we are to continually repeat a word, but to express our sorrow for past racial, prejudice, and sexist crimes in the dawn and then produce postitive celebration of the achievements and interactions and future initiatives, till the end of the day, that will contiunue to dispell such history and work towards a unite people of the planet Earth, NOT just a country.

Maybe when the white in me can be accepted for the truth of the word SORRY and the actions that I repeat in every second of the day are recognised, will I finally know that I am accepted as an Australian!

How does a white person get accepted for their tainted colour by an era that will never be allowable by me to ever exist in my life time, or the life time of my children, or their children?

How do I help to unite the world and eliminate injustices to all people, so I can be accepted as an a true Australian, no matter what the colour of my skin.

No comments: